The proximity of UM to numerous federal and non-profit research agencies affords ILS students the opportunity to undertake research in some of the leading institutions in the world, such as NIH, National Cancer Institute, Smithsonian Institution, USDA-Beltsville, and J. Craig Venter Institute. Summer internship programs at these institutions afford students the experience of working with renowned leaders in the fields of biological, biomedical, and ecological research. Each year the ILS staff updates a growing catalog of relevant internship programs in the Baltimore-DC area. This easy-to-read guide directs students to program descriptions and application forms.
Download the ILS internship catalog
Students who wish to conduct research over the summer but who are not local are encouraged to seek research experiences close to their homes. Students can search for relevant undergraduate research opportunities through the following nationwide databases:
- National Science Foundation Research Experiences for Undergraduates
- Association of American Medical Colleges Summer Undergraduate Research Program
- The Leadership Alliance Summer Research Early Identification Program for students interested in PhD or MD-PhD programs
- National Parks Student Employment
- Amgen Scholars Summer Research Program
- The Student Conservation Association
- College of Computer, Mathematical, and Natural Sciences current postings for jobs and internships. This is an up-to-date list of all opportunities sent to the college, many of which are relevant for ILS students.